It’s something to think about.
But the world is complicated, and there is more than one thing we must do as a church.
In my sermon on the opening day of church school I suggested some priorities for our church’s ministry. I offer them again here in the hope that they will prompt discussion about the direction of our church. I would suggest that the following be our most significant priorities:
- extravagant hospitality to all who pass through the church doors.
- evangelical courage that celebrates diversity and speaks out for justice, not with one voice, but in all our diversity.
- abundant generosity that starts with our faith that God will always provide enough even when everyone around us worries that the resources are scarce.
- intense faith that we nurture in our children, our grandchildren, and in our own lives, faith that understands at its core that God is still speaking, that there is yet more truth to break forth from God’s holy word.
- awesome community that is faithful in our relationship with God and our relationships with one another even when we disagree or are uncertain about what the future holds.
That’s my list. How does it compare to yours? Where would you like to see our church focus its efforts in responding to God’s call that we be the church? Please post your comments on this blog or on Facebook or Twitter. I look forward to the conversation!